Saturday, August 2, 2008

Thing #16 - wikis

WOW! I didn't know how useful and how much fun a wiki could be. When school begins this fall I plan to create a wiki for a new book club at my elementary school. I'd like to teach the 3rd-5th grade students to use the wikki and blog back and forth about the books they are reading, maybe write a summary. They can also view the wiki for upcoming bookclub events, dates and books we might be reading, as well as make suggestions of their own. We will probably have to break into small groups and read different titles since I don't have more than 3-4 copies of favs. (I'll have to teach the students not to give away any book endings!) Websites I am considering using are www.wetpaint.com or www.wikispaces.com or http://pbwiki.com (I need to see and play with all features before I choose a site that's best for us.)
Another goal in using this wiki is to show teachers the usefulness of this type of learning tool. I doing that, they may be more accepting of the staff developments I hope to create later.
Terri

No comments: