Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thing 21 - Podcasts and audio books

I am not having much luck with either of these. I don't think I have the right equipment and / or software. I have know microphone except in my webcam and I don't seem to have what I need to create a photostory with music or sound. I downloaded Photostory 3 and used it to create photostory with our Disney World pictures. by closing the program and reopening it, I was finally able to work with the slide transitions, but when I tried to add music, it got messed up. The story gets stuck on the 1st slide while all of the music plays, which you can't even hear because I was trying to use my webcam microphone. Furthermore, I was in narration edit, because I don't have any music buttons what so ever. This is not the photostory program I have used in the past at school. It is simply, insert photos, type a title, make them transition and maybe add narration. I've gone to the help documents, but they say to click on the buttons I don't have in my applications. I spent about 7 hours working on this project, but gave up about 3am this morning. I will go on and finish the rest of the things, and will try to come back to this one. I'm too frustrated right now. Terri

Finally, on my third attempt, I think I may have it down! I went and got my school laptop, downloaded photostory 3 on it and I think it will work, even though I did it all by myself. So here goes....

If this one works, I'm ready to create a photostory showing 3rd -5th graders the procedures and sequence for checking out their own books at the circulation computer, and a photostory giving a tour of the library, since it has been totally redone this summer with shelves being moved, sections being integrated and a whole new theme. Even though my brain has been stretched to its limits, it is still coming up with more ideas for the use of photostory in the library. (How about showing how to cite a book from the library or -wait this is good - how about showing students step by step how to create a photostory of their research. No, not good, they probably already know how to do it!) Anyway, I'm not frustrated anymore!

Terri - memorykeepermom uhcl

5 comments:

Alice Grabowski said...

Terri, I feel so bad for you because this one was the worst for me too. I also had to walk away in frustration and come back after finishing everything else. When you get it to work (and you will)do NOT waste your time with Switchpod. You can load it directly from your computer to the blog using the video button on the top of the posting compose box. If you really want others to be able to download your podcast then have fun with Switchpod, but that took up another pile of my time. Hang in there!

VWB said...

you are having problems that I really don't recognize...Photostory 3 moves step by step as you click next each time.

be sure when you get ready to upload that it is saved as wmv--that is critical. the box in the center area of the saving screen, but be sure you click the next and let it "render " that save...in fact be sure you click all the way to the end.

maybe if you try it with just three pictures ? until you feel a little more comfortable.

but yes, stepping away for awhile usually is a good way to clear up confusion!

Terri said...

My laptop has Windows XP with Media Center built in and it's not working at all. I can't even open it or even send the error report. My photostory 3 did move step by step when clicking next, but only had an option for adding a title to each page. There were NO options at all for slide transition, or adding narration or music until I saved and exited the program. When I opened it back up for editing, I could add narration and work on transitions. It messed up when I tried to use the narration button to add music with my webcam microphone. Since then, I can't even preview or play it as a story, only to edit the project and there are only editing buttons for fixing photo problems like red eye or color enhancements.

I am going to go to my school tomorrow and play with the computers in the integration lab to either fix this photostory or create a new one. I'm not ready to give up because I know I can do this.
Thanks for the support!
Terri

Alabama Librarian said...

Terri,

This one frustrated me too. Initially, I did a very basic Photostory with pictures and narration, nothing fancy. Last night I wanted to copy my ppt slides and record my narration for my collaboration presentation since Skype has been giving us so much trouble. Well, bad news, you can't copy slides into Photostory so keep that in mind.

I would like to use Photostory to record how do typical library things for my adult or student aides. But it will take a lot of playing with it to get it right.

VWB said...

Terri photostory already on laptop. What about taking slide, select all, save as jpg file...add that as image to photostory for each slide???