Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing #18 - online tools

I played around with Google docs because someone mentioned how neat it was in class the other night, but also because Open Office was not available today. I created a "love note" for both my husband and my son and inserted a picture a heart in the sky from Flickr. I also linked the caption back to the site with the picture / credits opened. I haven't checked their email yet, but I cc'd it to myself and my copy arrived a second later!

I can see where this type of sharing will be beneficial in that tons of emails with attachments won't have to be sent / received only to clutter up your inbox, desktop, or document folders. Also, updates are made right there on the original so there will be no question of which doc is the newest copy. Maybe this would be an easy way to keep a consideration file - create a Google doc for each type of material (books, magazines, equipment, etc...) and share with teachers, who could then update with their requests. It will also be a great tool to use when collaborating with a team and planning a presentation, whether it's for a class research project or staff development. The only disadvantage I can see is that teachers are often resistant to anything new because they think it might create more "work" for them. Maybe if their requests are noticed and fulfilled, or their lessons are partly planned by others the transition will happen, sooner rather than later.
PS - I hope to be able to play around with Open Office soon.
Terri - memorykeepermom uhcl

No comments: