Saturday, August 2, 2008

thing #17 - Rollyo

It took me awhile to figure out how to use Rollyo and I think if I play with it further, I'll understand it a little better. The video created by Bruce Goodner was very helpful and I wish I would have watched it first. I was able to create a few searchrolls and I inserted a searchbox on my blog (in the left sidebar.) I think the one that might be most useful to my students in the future will be the searchroll called "my books + authors." There, they can search my favorite sites for books and reviews. I do need to tweek the list, deleting sites that I don't know much about or may be difficult for elementary students to navigate, and I need to add a few of my own that I use frequently. I also created searchrolls for my favorite scrapbooking sites and baseball sites.
I love how a teacher can decide what sites students will be able to go to when doing research. It will limit the number of sites for students to look through when entering search terms, therefore saving valuable time and frustration for everyone. Students will only have to see age appropriate sites and therefore will only have to evaluate the information for relevance to their research / project. The only disadvantage I see is the search is limited to the teacher's knowledge of websites.
Terri

No comments: