Monday, August 4, 2008

thing #20 - YouTube and TeacherTube

Trying to see many of the videos on TeacherTube, as well as the samples was very frustrating for me. They seemed to load ok, and then, while watching, every few seconds the video would have to pause for buffering. I'm not sure what the problem was, whether it was equipment, internet, or something like site traffic, but I'll continue to use this at different times. I did get this one to work from TeacherTube. I've seen it before and was asstonished by the rate of growth for the internet!!! Check it out!



When searching for different classroom lessons and such, I found so many that I liked, and that I know will hold students' attention for skills and lessons. I really like one called "Mr. Duey raps fractions" on TeacherTube. I couldn't make it through much of it because of the buffering, but what I did get to see was fun. I also found a few that were so boring, I had to turn them off. (One on teaching the Super 3 reminded me of a 1960's monotone voiced filmstrip!) Even videos on TeacherTube need to be previewed or the results may be "death by video."

When I searched through YouTube, the videos worked much better, but I didn't find a whole lot that could be used in the classroom using the search terms suggested. Most videos could be used for presentations to teachers. When I searched "educational videos for children," I had better success. I even found the old "School House Rock" video for teaching nouns and all the other School House Rock videos were listed as well. I used to love School House Rock on Saturday mornings!
Terri

5 comments:

Mindy Rives said...

I hate that you are having problems with your feeds but I am too and was thinking that it was jsut me. Did you ever figure out what was going on with it and why it takes so long to finish uploading? It is very frustrating to watch something in small sections rather than the entire form.

Alice Grabowski said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your TeacherTube selection. The staff at my school really needs to see this one or the other one that was embedded in our learning. I think they both are very motivating to get people into the technology mindset. And the music had my husband and son zipping to my computer to see what was going on...

Amanda said...

I haven't done thing number 20 yet, but I hope that I don't have trouble with the buffering, but when that happens to me it's usually because my internet is too slow, did you try it from a different computer or network?

Terri said...

Alice,
Our ITS showed an older version from 2006 of this video, and I liked some of the transitions and graphics a litle better (some of the info is the same, but in a different format.) I put the newest one I could find for accuracy, however. Watching the different versions (I think 3 of them) I was amazed by the exponential growth of technology!
My kids kept looking over my shoulder as well, spellbound by the music!
Thanks for your comments,
Terri

Terri said...

Amanda,
We just upgraded from Roadrunner, to Comcast (which was slow) to att uverse. Our entire house is wireless, but we are noticing some problems, even in our tv. Sometimes we'll be watching a program and it'll will freeze up for a few seconds, almost llike the buffering problem. I must say, though, that we have NO spam, or ads of any kind that pop up anywhere! That we love!
Thanks,
Terri