Saturday, July 26, 2008

Finding feeds - thing 9

It took me a long time to try each of these search tools and I was successful in finding some pertinent feeds to add to my reader. The easiest tools to use were Blogline, Edublogs award winners and School library blogs on suprglu. In Blogline, I just used the key word library and, though there were way too many sites listed, I did find a few great blogs on the right under "matching feeds." I found even more great blogs when I narrowed my search to school library. The best tools were the Edublogs and School Library blogs on suprglu. Of course, the award winners were all good and separated by category. There, I just clicked on the "Best library blogs" to get to the sites most relevant to my library! How easy was that!?! In School Library blogs, I found a great site created by "The Loud Librarian." It's a blog set up for a library using Blogmeister created by David Warlick. By using the tabs at the top, I was able to read how class bogmeister was set up, and it seems easy enough that I can do this at my elementaty school this year.
When I tried to use Syndic8 and Technarati, searching with keywords, I wasn't very successful. At first, my keywords were too broad (library and school library) and when trying to narrow it down (school media center and school media center programs), I didn't get very many feeds and in Syndic8, what I did get, were all older and no longer usable. Maybe I wasn't using the right keywords, or something. In Technarati, I tried to use the blog directory where the preselected tabs are and there wasn't a category for education at all. When I used key words such as "school library" or "school media center" I got sites totally unrelated to school or libraries. That was sort of frustrating to me.

No comments: