Sunday, July 27, 2008

thing 12-creating community through commenting

I got alot out of this activity. I am a rather shy person and new to blogging and it all makes me sort of nervous. After reading helpful tips from "coolcat teacher" and the Rowse's 10 techniques to get more comments, the 10 commandments of blog commenting, blue skunk's comments on commenting and Drake's takes on edublogger etiquette, I feel a little better about putting my comments out there for others to read. All of these bloggers made it clear that they welcome and appreciate relevant and meaningful comments to their posts, as long as the comments add value to the "conversation." Also, if you have written a post about the topic and refer to your post in the comment, a hyperlink should be included that links to your post. That way, others can read and comment on your blog.
Another point I read that makes a lot of sense is to be polite and not condescending when pointing out errors in a post or comment. Opinions can be expressed in a friendly manner and sarcasm will never work in blogging.
One last thing that I'm grappling about is whether or not to use my real name or an alias. Giving too much information about myself is rather scary for me, but using a complete alias is cold and impersonal. I'm thinking of using my part of my name with an alias to help distinguish myself from others with the same name. (Maybe Terri @ the Library - what do you think about that?)
More after I read posts of classmates....

I've blogged to the outside world today. I blogged on a scrapbooking website called Smilebox and on a Chronicle website on a baseball blog. (The baseball blog was still loading when I started this blog, so I hope it works. Since it's through the Chronicle, I wonder if it always takes awhile to load?) I've also blogged to several classmates and I'm enjoying continuing to blog with them.
Terri - Memorykeepermom uhcl

3 comments:

VWB said...

whatever works for you, usually works for the people you are communicating with!
I choose to use my initials...it's a personal thing...the more you blog, the more people will know to associate your alias with you!

Terri said...

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking about creating 2 different blogs when I finish with the 23 things - one for my school library profession and one for my scrapbooking business and I can links to my different web pages. Then, I'll know what to call myself for each blog.

DAL said...

I had the same issues about using my real name or not. I am a bit paranoid on occasion about the real name thing. Still have not decided, and on my Library2Play blog, I have used my initials. I, too, would like to have another blog, so we will see what happens.